Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Government Has No Money!

The Government Has No Money!


By Elizabeth Szlek

For The Rome Observer: October 19, 2010



Like you all, I have been watching numberless political ads these days on television. They roll in like waves, one after the other. The “bad” guys have dark circles under their eyes, or have a heavy five o’clock shadow, like Nixon. The “good guys” are seen clutching their beautiful babies, or dressed in jeans to show how “earthy” and humble they are. Throw a cow or two in, and the candidate looks like a saint, almost.

This is just “normal” media manipulation of images. I would like to quote one of my favorite movies on this one: “As if!”

I am sure some of you have studied these kinds of tactics, and can see through most of it. I really don’t want my re presentative or governor wearing jeans when they discharge their duties in Albany or Washington. And bringing a milk cow into these legislative offices would be just unseemly.

But all this stuff doesn’t really bother me that much. I just have to laugh.

No, what really bothers me is what these clowns, excuse me, candidates, are saying to us. That which they hope and pray we will trust and believe.

Where Does Federal and State Money Come From?

This would appear to be a no-brainer, and yet millions of my fellow Americans obviously think differently on this topic than I. Where DOES the money that these candidates are talking about spending really come from? I’ll give you a hint: It’s really close to you right now. Really close.

Answer: It is going to come out of YOUR pocket. Now, the less gifted among you will say that the government prints the money, so they really don’t take it out of our pockets, but that is just specious!

The federal government, if we start there, has no money of its own. It is the instrument of the will of the people, through their representatives, one hopes. When an elected official, or a candidate for office starts spouting off about “creating jobs”, and funding this or that program, the bottom line in all of your minds should be: This is on my dime.

How does the government, any government in America, from the federal to the town level, get its money? It takes the money away from those who work and own property, or those who travel and pay customs and duty on goods. Tariffs are largely a thing of the past, so foreign businesses are much less on the hook than previously.

No, for the most part, you and I, the taxpayers, the property owners, the business owners are picking up all the tabs. When I hear Democrats saying they are going to be bringing in lots of entitlement programs, I cringe. My bills for them will be going up.

What do Democrats and Republicans Say?

When I hear Democrats telling me they are cutting taxes, I get confused, since entitlement programs they are so keen on, like health care, are going to be paid for through reaching into my pocket. Huh? You are going to spend trillions and I am off the hook? How can it be? Well, very simply, it can’t. Old Uncle Sam will have to reach in even deeper for those entitlements, so just buck up and take it!

Let’s consider what our Republican candidates are saying: I will create many new jobs, and will cut spending and bring in tax cuts! But, how can government “create” new jobs without spending any government money? It is impossible! And, if you do that, won’t my taxes go up? Yes, they will. That’s what the bailout was all about: Creating millions of new jobs and cutting taxes at the same time. A sleight of hand? No, just twisted factoids, delivered to sway the minds of those who either need jobs, or need tax cuts. Sort of like a miracle, except it isn’t real, but campaign fantasy.

Republicans are creating jobs AND cutting taxes, and Democrats are creating jobs AND cutting taxes. Something for everyone, so I guess it boils down to which candidate warms the cockles of your hearts more, or who looks better milking a cow. Come to think of it, the milking scenario could actually be a coded reference to what they are really up to: Milking the taxpayers!

I have an excellent credit rating. People would love to give me all kinds of money. I don’t take it, however, because it really bothers me to be in debt. Aren’t there other Americans out there who look at our mounting debt and shudder?

By the way, if 40 or so millions of Americans do not have health insurance, and suddenly it will be available to them, who do you think is going to pay for it? You. Even if you have your own health insurance, you are now going to pick up part of the tab for 40 million more people. As old Marx said, “Each according to his ability, each according to his need.” You may have the ability to pay for more people’s health insurance, so pony up! You may have the need to get some, so sit back and wait for me to kick in for you! Well, kick in isn’t really the deal: Old Uncle Sam will decide to help himself and just put his hand in my pocket. If this is not socialism or communism, I would really like someone to explain why not. Didn’t we once seek out communists to stop them from perverting our freedoms? I guess the folks in government missed that memo.

I have often said that I don’t like fantasy in any form. I don’t like fantasy movies, or books, or games. My life is devoted to helping others come into reality, understand reality and most importantly, deal with reality. So, when it comes to politics and political campaigns, I mostly notice what is fantasy about them. I don’t know if any of you are also recognizing the fantastic nature of the current political ads, but here is what I would like to hear from someone:

“We have spent your money over the years, like a bunch of drunken sailors. The time has come to get into reality. We have to cut programs, especially entitlement programs, to preserve our country (town, state) as a free republic. If you yourself are a careful spender, and don’t go into debt without serious thinking, you will appreciate what I am trying to do: Get us out of debt. We have to tighten our belts and give up some of the fantasy programs which we cannot afford. Vote for me if you are living in reality, and not some fantasy-land of unlimited credit spending. Thank you.”

Would anyone vote for such a person? Anyone besides me?



Elizabeth Szlek is the Director of The Door Counseling Center of Utica, NY, Questions and comments can be directed to her at (315) 768-8900 or at info@thedoorcounseling.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment