Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Globes, Gowns and Insults

For The Rome Observer, January 18, 2011


By Elizabeth Szlek, LMHC



Last Sunday night we all were encouraged to watch the Golden Globes annual awards presentation, so that we would all know what movies to go to, and which television shows to watch. Since I am a fan of neither, I didn’t intend to participate in this nationwide event, but as it happens, my curiosity got the better of me, and I tuned in for the first hour of red carpet, and then for a couple of hours more of the real thing – until I couldn’t take it anymore.

I do watch “Project Runway”, however, because I am a former devoted seamstress, who used to make all her own clothes. Yep, I was totally broke, but because a friend supplied me with free couturier fabrics, I ran around Manhattan sporting Yves St. Laurent suits, Calvin Klein sportswear, and Nina Ricci concert gear. So, I do like to see what people are wearing, it’s true.

And, the Globes did not disappoint in that department. There were many very beautiful women wearing equally beautiful gowns. Some were simply stunning. It is obvious there is no lack of design talent in America (and abroad). Of course, the crassness of having to tell “who” you are wearing is what the red carpet stuff is all about now. Think of it as a one-hour promo for the fashion industry. Yes, you have to listen to mindless patter, but it is all pretty civil. The interviewers have a practiced breathlessness when jamming a mic in the face of some has-been or soon-to-be, or, (gasp) actual living icons like Angie and Brad.

Downhill Fast

Once I returned from my popcorn-making duties to settle in for the “real” show, I found myself looking at Ricky Gervais, the host. I figured I would watch for a while, and then pull the plug when it got too boring. But, as it turns out, something else took place.

I am a member of the Boomer Generation, and went through the whole thing with rebellion, protesting, and the rise of the rogue/rebel/misfit actor thing seemingly started by Marlon Brando. Actors used to practice, or at least fake, civility, since they were often portraying upper crust sorts of characters, and they maintained this façade during their public appearances. Let me tell you, folks—game over on that one.

First, if there were writers for this event: Shame on you! Shame! Shame! Oh, but maybe that concept is now forgotten by the generation who’s “gotta be me!” Gotta be me and say every revolting and ugly and unkind thing I can think of – epater les bourgeois! We must all “shock” everyone else now, and because of this, an basically stupid event like the Golden Globes becomes a festival of insult to one and all.

I noticed one thing, though. Most of the younger people involved were not as ugly as the older generations. The young ones still had the deer in the headlights look, fear, when reading their little presentation speeches. This left the veterans like “Iron Man” Robert Downey, to make a complete fool of himself while he sexually harassed all the actresses nominated for awards. But, then, he himself was dissed by the gracious host, Mr. Gervais, who helpfully pointed out that Mr. Downey had been through several rehab experiences. Just the sort of intro anyone would enjoy! In fact, Mr. Gervais outdid himself by introducing the President of the Golden Globes association by chattering on that he had just come from helping him off the toilet, and then giving him his false teeth.

When said elderly gentleman then appeared, he threw a jibe back at his host, saying, in essence, “You’ll never work in this town again!” Lovely.

The insults just kept coming: In introducing an entire category of awards, Foreign Films, the presenters stated something to the effect that “no one in America cares about this one” and indicated it was a big bore. The woman who accepted the award nattered on in English, dropping a line about potatoes that I didn’t catch, but at least she seemed genuinely pleased by the events.

Some young guy I have never seen before won an award, and he took this opportunity to “come out” for all the gays in existence, and tell the world, and the television audience, “Screw you!” How very lovely.

The Big Moment of the evening came when actor Robert De Niro received a Lifetime Achievement award. He looked terribly disheveled, unlike some of the other men, who presented themselves in suits made from either fabulous stuff, or perhaps some of the ubiquitous garbage bag garment produced on the aforementioned “Project Runway”. He accepted the award and launched into a garrulous and unkempt flow of verbiage, offering the idea that perhaps the foreign correspondents were in slight attendance because they had been deported. This was obviously scripted, because he complained that the crawl was going too fast and he missed some of what he had to say…Tant pis!

Is It We or Is It Hollywood?

At this point, I have to wonder: Are we getting what we want, or what Hollywood thinks we want, or deserve? Are we as a nation equally crass and vulgar as these “stars”?

I don’t know the answer, but I believe that through the years, the films we have all watched HAVE made a deep impression on us all. I don’t believe that theatrical performances, in any medium, are valueless entertainment. They do mold our minds and our values, just as music does. Maybe because I don’t watch much TV or go to movies, this makes me out of touch with the current Zeitgeist. Maybe many of you did not notice the profound disconnect between the lavish dresses and the offensive manners and lack of any kind of civility. For me, it was like putting on a Prada gown and going down to the pigsty: except that I really think highly of pigs and their intelligence.

I think the rebellion thing, the need to be outré and “bad” has come full circle. Now, we can’t even have a civil awards presentation! Everyone is constantly finding themselves in the midst of a “roast”. I never liked that form of comedic battling, and I still don’t, but now the Rodney Dangerfield Way of Life seems to have overtaken everything. Aren’t you sick of it? Don’t you long for a kind, polite word? I do, but I don’t expect to hear any any time soon.



Elizabeth Szlek is the Director of The Door Counseling Center of Yorkville, NY. Questions and comments can be directed to her at (315) 768-8900 or at info@thedoorcounseling.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment